Brgy. Antipolo

Barangay Antipolo is one of the largest barrios in the town of Rizal, Province of Laguna.  It is located in the Western part of the town, a kilometer away from the Poblacion.  This barrio is along the provincial road leading to San Pablo City.  It serves as a boundary line of Rizal and San Pablo City.

Apprehension of information reveals that this barrio was established when our town, formerly known as Pauli, was separated from her mother town, the town of Nagcarlan, Laguna.  Antipolo is the ancient name of this place because of the huge Antipolo tree in that place, that guided and gave shed to travelers who were resting under it before going down the muddy road of Biuyan.

This barrio which had been derived from the symbolic Antipolo tree was inhabited by few families.  The original families who were they bases of improvements were Pedro Urrea’s Family, Manuel Author’s family, Eleuterio Laycano’s family, Eladio Sumatra’s family and the Silvestre Laycano’s family.  This group of families worked together, lived together peacefully under the leadership of their barrio lieutenants from the very beginning up to the present date, Those who guided and led them in their activities were Senon Urrea,  Silvestre Laycano, Eladio Sumatra, Jose Urrea, Reymondo Isleta, Ladislao Formales, Leon Autor, Igmedio Royo, Pedro Sumatra and Teofilo Isleta.

This barrio of Antipolo is a congregation of different sitios.  The different sitios that composed the barrio are: Punong-halang, Sabutan, Tabla, Pauli and Kalibato.  These sitios under the jurisdiction of Antipolo were named by the early inhabitants depending  upon the events that happen on that place and upon the products raised.  The sitio of  Pulong-halang was so named because it was the hiding place of the “Manghaharang” after robbing the travelers on the difficult road at Biuyan,  Sabutan is another sitio of Antipolo, it has been named after the Sabutan plant raised on that place and according to some old people it was also called that name for it was the place where robbers met to trade their kidnapped persons or things for the expediency of their barbarous business. It was the so-called “Sabutan” ng mga hinarang ng mga nanghaharang. This sitio was once made a camp of the guerilla units during the Japanese occupation.  Pauli is another sitio of the barrio Antipolo got  its name from the stream that flows back and forth of “Pauli-uli”.  Tabla a sitio of the same barrio is a historical spot.  It had been the guarding place or outpost of General Juan Cailles faithful soldier during the Filipino-American War.  It had been named Tabla, because of the lumber or “table” produced from that place when it was still a wilderness.  The most important sitio of Antipolo is what we called Kalibato, for it had been the source of living of the inhabitants of the nearby barrios.  There is a  legend about it that runs.  Long time ago, this place was a farm of a  couple named Kali and Berta.  This couple were living happily, contented of their lives for they have sufficient food to support their living.  One day an old woman came, begging for food.  When Kali saw the rugged woman he drove her away with the help of his dog.  To protect herself from being bitten by the dogs she threw stones to them and said, “May God punish you for your selfishness”.  Berta said “Kali, bato”, Kali placed up the stone thrown by the old woman.  When Kali was holding the stone to be thrown back to the old woman a roaring sound was heard.  And after the strange sound, the place where Kali was standing sank and became a lake.  When the neighbors asked Berta what happen she said, “I just shouted Kali, Bato, then the place where Kali was standing sank after the roaring sound.  Thus, Kalibato got its name.

This barrio is very fortunate for it had been free from destruction of lives and properties during the past wars.

Advertisements

Brgy. Pauli (I and II)

Barangay Pauli. The past, present and popular name of the barrio Pauli.  It was name after the stream that passes through the barrio going to the northern sitio called alibung-bungan and goes westward then eastward four time near the lot of Mr. Cristeto Lucido before it goes to Kalibato Lake.

When Pauli was first separated from the town of Nagcarlan, the President or Kapitan was Mariano Isles.  The policeman were called commisario.  Mariano Isles served for two years.  There were very few people yet living and the town could stand alone so the town was given up again to Nagcarlan.  Then Pedro Urrea made efforts to make again the barrio a town, it was again separated from Nagcarlan, One of the accomplishments by him was the improvement of the road.  Formerly the road infront of the house of the late Rizalino Urriquia up to the house of the late Hiladia Perez Urrea  it was straightened after a lapse of two years the inhabitants of the town could not support the municipality, so it was again returned to the town of Nagcarlan.  From 1915-1918 on of the three councilor of the town of Nagcarlan felt that it was very unfair for the barrio of Pauli that even the school had not improved and the President gave only two teachers,  when there were excess of children for each teacher.  So Mr. Agustin Vista and Mr. Fortunato Arban organized a secret plan of organizing a new town of Pauli, it was  in the year 1919 that the barrio was separated  from Nagcarlan for the third time.  When it was already a town it was divided into different “puroks” and the former Pauli became the Poblacion.  About ¼ of the whole Pauli remained the present Pauli and in northern Pauli became the sitio called “Alibung-bungan”.

Alibung-bungan is the only sitio of Pauli which lies in the northern part of the Poblacion.  The original families who lived in this sitio were Ricardo Isleta, Pedro Urtola, Vicente Perez, wife of Romualdo Oro, Justo Perez, Hiladia Perez who are brothers and sisters, Luduvico Urtola, Mariano Formales, Paula Formales, Melecia Formales and Francisco Carpena.

In the sitio of Alibung-bungan original families were Antonino Montermoso and Lucena Sumague, Juan Austral and Marina Isleta, Juan Urriza, Placida Isleta, Dorotea Ciar and Elvira Sumiran.

Before Pauli was separated from Nagcarlan, which was during the time of the Spaniards, Filipino were given punishment for mere accusations.  Ciriaco Isleta and Juan Imbo were captured and killed by the Spaniards.  Houses were burned because they taught they were the hiding places of “insurectos”.  The Spaniards did not stay long later the Americans came to help the Filipinos, they were very friendly to the people, they gave ration to the poor people.  The insurectos were forced to surrender.  They paid the guns own by the insurectos.

The following barrio lieutenants were the leaders from the very beginning Spanish regime to the present.  The very first appointed barrio lieutenant was Mariano Urtola, second was Lazaro Sumague, third was Romualdo Oro, fourth was Honorio Mesinas, fifth was Rufino Isleta, then Eulogio Urtula who served until the coming of the American.  Succeeding him was Wenceslao Isleta as the seventh.  Eight was Jose Vistan, and then Bernardino Oro, the tenth was Dominador Bortonel, residing in the sitio of Alibung-bungan. Mr. David Formales was the eleventh, who served during the Japanese time.  Then Dominador  Bortonel as the 13th and 14th respectively.  At the returned of the Americans it was Mr. Florentino Suñiga who was appointed and serving up to the present time.

Even during the Spanish regime this place was never captured nor trespassed by the “Tulisan” or law breaker.  There were no uprisings or rebellion against the people and the foreigners who were trying to own us.  Disaster done by the Japanese was the burning of houses.  All houses in Pauli were burned.  Later, the Americans liberated the Philippines and all owners of burned houses were given claim paper to be filled up and sent to the War Damage Commission Office.  When this claim were approved by the Rehabilitation Committee Office.  Home owners received payments for the destruction.  Aside from the money given by the War Damage Commission the members of the Protestant Religion

of Pauli gave voluntary contributions for the construction of the destroyed chapel.

In an encounter in Sta Cruz in 1942, Bienvenido Sumatra, a native of Pauli, a guerilla was killed by the Japanese.  Unfortunately on the 26th of July 1944, another native of Pauli, Eugenia Sombilla wife of Mr. Jeremias dela Cruz was also shot to death by the Japanese stragglers who were trying to cross the street of Pauli going northward from the backyard of their house.  There was a blackout at that time.  The guerillas ran after the Japanese soldier, but the later were able to escape. From that time on the people of Pauli had been always alert.  Due to the untiring effort of counselor Jose Oro, the people of Pauli are peaceful and continuing to their best for the betterment of community living.

.

Pauli 1

Pauli 1

Pauli 2

Pauli 2


Barangay Poblacion ( East and West)

Barangay Poblacion. One of the sections of the town of Rizal, Laguna which is the town proper is known as Poblacion.

Formerly, when it was still the prosperous barrio of Nagcarlan, it was known as Pauli because of its river that flows westward and returns eastward.  In other words the river goes back and forth which means “Pauli-uli”, in Tagalog.  This words was shortened into “Pauli” which was the town given to the barrio.

In the year 1915 up to the later part of 1918, the councilor of that barrio, Mr. Fortunato Arban had been working a secret plan organizing the new town of Pauli.  Eight other barrios planned to separate from the municipality of Nagcarlan to be combined with Pauli to form a new town.  These barrios were North Pauli, Tuy, Laguan, Entablado, Tala, Talaga and Antipolo.

Not long afterwards, Don Juan Cailles, the Provincial Governor at that time, came to know of the plan.  He lost no time in summoning Mr. Fortunato Arban to the Provincial Capitol to talk over the matter.  He readily acceded with Mr. Arban and the proposal of the creation of the new town was brought to Manila and prevented to the Philippine Congress.   It was indorsed to Governor Francis Burton Harrison who approved it with Mr. Fortunato Arban as the President and Mr. Agustin Vista the Vice President.  The appointed councilors were Messrs.  Juan Isles, Inocente Sumague, Gregorio Isles, Ceriaco Zuasola, Felix Isles, Claro Munda, Pedro  Urrea and Wenceslao Isles.

In 1919, the first local election was held, Mr. Fortunato Arban was elected President and Mr. Agustin Vista the Vice President.  The elected councilors were Messrs. Luis Reolada, Pedro Urrea, Norberto Vista, Juan Isles, Inocente Sumague and Felix Isleta.

At that time there was no layout of streets so that the President made it a point to construct streets.  He asked the help and cooperation of the people who in turn offered their services free.  A public market was built at the expense of the municipality.

Still having in mind the education of the masses as a step towards progress, a primary school was established.  The house of Mrs. Potenciana Solis de Arguel was rented to accommodate the school children.  Later the Vice-President’s home was also used as the enrollment increased.  Then the municipal government sought for a school site wherein to build the Primary Building.  In 1920 a site for the Home Economics Building was purchased from the couple Ignacio Isles and Natalia Rubiato.  The first intermediate class was opened the same year.

The next election held in 1922.  The following officials were elected:  Mr. Agustin Vista – President, Mr. Pedro Isleta – Vice President and the councilors were Messrs.  Fortunato Arban, Pedro Urrea, Narciso Asegurado, Pedro Sombilla, Leoncio Sombilla, Wenceslao Isles, Claro Munda and Juan Lucido.  During this period, the construction of the  Primary School Building which was begun in previous administration was completed.  A Home Economics Building was also constructed.  Another  accomplishment was the installation of the waterworks system but this was not finished.  The tenure of office end in 1925.

Another President was elected in the person of Mr. Cornelio Viriña in 1925.  The Vice-President was Mr. Juan Lucido and under their term, the water works project was completed.

At the expiration of Mr. Viriña’s term, Mr. Fortunato Arban was again elected in 1928 as president.  Once more he proved himself to be an advocate of uplifting his people through educating them so there had been a rapid increase in the school enrollment.  Another school building was needed so that he made personal appeals to the people to pay taxes in order to have new building erected.  His appeal was too much for the people to discard so they had to cooperate with him.  Thus, another building was built.  It was the present intermediate building.

After his term Mr. Clemente Sombilla took over in the next election in 1931.  Not much could be mentioned here.  He was succeeded again by Mr. Fortunato Arban in 1934 up to 1937.

With the change in the form of government to a Commonwealth in 1937, Mr. Agustin Vista was once more elected President.  His object this time was the improvement of the roads.  He succeeded in securing the Provincial Officials help in having the Provincial Road running through the town asphalted.

An excitement was to be witnessed in the 1941 election.  It was during this time when the world war was in critical situation due to a threatening war.  The candidate running for presidency during this period was a Sakdalista in the person of Mr. Godofredo Asegurado and a Nationalista in a person of Mr. Pablo Urrea.

Mr. Pablo Urrea came out the victor with Mr. Ismael Sombilla as the Vice President.  A few months later, World War II broke out.  The Japanese came and took command over us.  Inspite of the constant grilling by the Nippons, Mr. Urrea stood past in his post bravely tackling the dangerous task of shielding the underground resistance movement in its action which was raging in town.  After two years he shifted his responsibilities to the Vice Mayor Mr. Ismael Sombilla.

Mr.  Ismael Sombilla was another man who deceived and fooled, the Japanese for the same cause.  He helps support the guerillas by giving them food, clothing and information.

About the middle part of the occupation period, the responsibility  was transferred to a councilor then Mr. Dionisio Limcuando.  The condition during this time was so critical that the inhabitants of Poblacion had vacated their places.  Most of them went to the mountain.  A truckful of Japanese soldiers was ambushed in the barrio Pook so that in their return trip the town was burned, leaving most of the Poblacion folks homeless.  This happened on January 23, 1945.  Some houses together with the school buildings, the church and the municipal building were the only ones luckily spared.

Then the town was soon liberated and from the ruins of the houses sprang the so-called “barong-barong”.  Former activities were resumed.  Schools were opened and the governmental machinery began to function again.  The former officials resumed their offices.  During this short period, the front part of the

Municipal Bulding was paved on a plaza was constructed and named after the beloved Congressman of the second district of Laguna, Honorable Estanislao A. Fernandez, Jr.

The first local election after the liberation was held on April 23, 1946.  There was no rivalry witnessed in this election for the mayor was unanimously elected to office due to his winsome and magnetic personality and bravery which won for him the full support and admiration of the people.

He was inexperienced in the politics but he showed great abilities in tackling the major problems of his administration.  He has accomplished so many things as the reconstruction of the old wooden municipality to a semi-concrete building and the replenishing of the plaza which is now worthy pride of the community.  But more than all of these is his fearless to right and wrong, his devotion to duty to the sacrifice of his family and his honesty which instill in the people complete thrust that no harm can come to them as long as he is with them.

Another public building that is to be found in Poblacion is the Roman Catholic Church which was set up with the coming of Spaniards.  It was at first a make shift with cogon roofing, sawali and bamboo walls and filed floors.

East Poblacion
East Poblacion
West Poblacion
West Poblacion



Barangay Pook

Barangay Pook is a small barrios of Rizal.  There are more or less 300 people residing in it.  It is situated on a high level land and is separated from the town of Nagcarlan by a running stream known as Pook stream.  It is about three (3) kilometers from Nagcarlan and less than two (2) kilometers from Poblacion.  The people have tried to beautify their surroundings by planting flowering plants infront of their houses.  Even if this is a barrio it is installed with electric light and water supply.  The people here depend on farming in the nearby places like the Abakahan, San Miguel, Luya, Mahaguil-haguil, Mayton and Lusakan.  They raise coconuts, fruits and vegetables.

Pook according to the old folks got its name wayback during the Spanish regime.  During that time Rizal was not yet a town, but a barrio of Nagcarlan known as Pauli.  Before going to Pauli, people would stop in Pook.  This caused the people to settle here.  They built their huts in groups or “pook-pook” which they called Pook meaning small nipa houses in groups.

According to the old men in the barrio, the original families that formed the barrio of Pook were as follows:  the Sombilla, Conservado and the Vista’s family.  So as far as remembered there are many tenientes del barrios who served as head of the barrio during the Spanish period.  They were Batoy Sombilla, Joseph Vista and Juan Conservado.  It was during that time, there was that we called “escrebiente del barrio” o secretary of the barrio and Hildo Urrete filled up this post.  When the American came here the following persons who ruled this place were Antonio Articona, Luciano Asegurado, Moises Sombilla, Macario Asegurado, Fausto Visey, Lupe Lucido, the present teniente del barrio Mr. Sigundo Pisano.

According to reliable source, Pook was formed earlier than Pauli how Rizal town and it had its own chapel.  There was a quarrel between the people of Pauli and Pook, the main cause of the trouble was that the people of Pauli created the Pook Chapel to be transformed to Pauli.

But the people of Pook didn’t like this.  So the people of Pauli got the church belonging like that of the tiles, roof and the patron saint San Miguel.  Pook celebrated with “comidya” there will be a fair weather.  If there is a drama or none at all, there is a possibility that there will be a storm so the people will not celebrate its fiesta happily.

Pook’s candidates for office of municipal councilors were successfully elected.  They served as a barrios voice in the municipal council.  They were Juan Vitangcol, Macario Visey and Pedro Suministrado.

During the Spanish regime there were many young men who joined the guerilla unit who fought against the Japanese through the leadership of Col. Eriberto Sombilla of that place.  One time when the Japanese where repairing the bridge the guerilla ambushed them.  This angered the Japanese and caused them to burned the houses in the town of Rizal and the neighbor barrios and few building escaped from the destruction.

At present, one can noticed the great improvement of the barrio.  Houses were constructed and beautified by flower plants.


Barangay Tala

Barangay Tala. To the present history of “Tala” a certain barrio of the Municipality of Rizal in the Province of Laguna, we have to delve a little bit deeper to trace out the salient features that contributed most to the development of this barrio.  In order to meet this objective we should therefore deal briefly with the general history of the town of Rizal in particular.

According to historical records pertaining to the town of Rizal, the said municipality was formerly a barrio of  Nagcarlan, Laguna called  Pauli, the barrio became the Municipality of Rizal, when Tala became more popularly known to the neighborhood.

Unlike other barrio, Tala has her name unchanged.  Its name is known to have been derived from a certain sweet smelling medical plant called “Tala” growing abundantly in the locality.  The natives use the juice of the leaves of this plant by mixing it with “gogo” for washing the hair.

There are several sitios within the barrio of Tala.  They are Ibayiw, La-lao, Dagatan, Tabla, Mahaguil-haguil and Bunsuran.  Although there were no official records preserved, it was popularly believed that the barrio was established during the Spanish regime.  According to the old folks the early setters of the barrio of Tala were the following couples:  Modesto Isles and Maria Sumague, Crispulo Sumague and Simeona Sumatra, Liberato Sumague and Juanita Conservado.  Their respective great grand-children are still living in the  barrio and they are the sources of several important information about the barrio.

When the place increased in population the people felt a need for a leader among them.  As a result  of this development among themselves gradually a succession of barrio lieutenant or teniente del barrio developed.  Successively the following men served for the purpose and acted as tenientes.  They were:  Ciriaco Lucido, Damaso Zuasola, Felix Suaze, Filomeno Isles, Felipe Urriquia, Teodoro Zuasola, Lorenzo Lucido, Moises Prillo, Pedro Sumague and Alfredo Consul, the present barrio lieutenant.

Prior to the Philippine revolution of 1806, there were many people living in the sitios of Ibayiw, Dagatan and La-lao.  These sitios  were evacuated by the natives because the guardia civil drove them as they often became fields of encounter between the Spaniards and the rebel army.  Most of the natives then concentrated in the barrio of Tala.  The Sitio of Dagatan got its name from a body of water that looks like a small lake called in Tagalog “Dagat-dagatan”.  Whereas, La-lao was attributed to the  presence of quicksand called “kumonoy”.  Ibayiw’s name is due to its location being situated in a place on the other bank of Mayton Creek.  While Tabla, the sitio that was more significant that the others is a battle-term name which means “tie”.  Often during the Spanish time this place became battlegrounds not only between Spaniards and Filipino revolutionary army, the Americans and General Emilio Aguinaldo’s fighting men but also among Filipino outlaws.  The attributing incident that took place within the vicinity that produced the name “Tabla” was accounted to the warfare between a contrabando tobacco seller called “estranio” and the guardia civil which resulted in neither victory nor defeat for both the conflicting parties.

Aside from having historical sitios such as the sitio of Tabla and Ibayiw where several warfare had happened, Tala as a whole can boast of the many historical significant events which took place there.  During the Spanish regime many fields fighting took place there.

During the early part of the American occupation, few encounters had taken place between the new colonizers and the revolutionists.  However, this barrio became a major stronghold that openly repulsed the famous advancing American cavalry coming from the town of San Pablo.

Shortly after the conflict with the Americans, a new way of life, a new ideology was introduced to the Filipinos by the new comers.  The Filipinos easily adhered to the new principle promulgated by the new conquerors from the west.  The Filipinos as a whole realized that this  doctrine of democracy is better,  a blessing rather than tyranny and  oppression and felt for the first time that they were to live under a  government of the people, by the people and for the people.

For all of this  God-given chances, the Filipinos easily learned to recognize the value of  peace and order of the country.  No more uprising happened anywhere, anytime even in the blood-soaked ground of the barrio of Tala where once murder, robbery and warfare were just ordinary incidents.  Peace and tranquility ruled over the residents of Tala for almost four decade it would have been possible that additional extend of development could have been accomplished in the barrio of Tala were it not for the outbreak of the second global war  heralded by the treacherous bombing  of Pearl Harbor on December 8, 1941 by the Japanese Imperial Forces.

Residents of the barrio of Tala as well as every Filipino once more suffered the agony and tremor of war.

By this global  was which ended in the defeat of Japan has put to a severe test the Filipino traditional loyalty to their country and United States of America.  As early as the announcement of the Japanese victory in Bataan in April 1942, many patriotics Filipinos in the archipelago started in the resistant movement.  Heading the call to resist the reign of terror, tyranny and oppressions that was being shown in the very eyes of the liberty-loving Filipino people, citizens of the municipalities of  Nagcarlan, Rizal, Lilio, Pila and Majayjay, Province of Laguna organized guerilla units and pledge themselves to fight the enemy morally and physically.  From anti-Japanese propaganda, the fight for freedom culminated into bloody battles which paved the way for the liberation of the areas were they operated.

The barrio of Tala as well as her natives played a very important rule in this straggle for liberty.  During the early stage of the underground movement, the home of Mr. & Mrs Isidro Urriquia, a then Captain of the Fil-American irregular troops, guerilla units who assumed the nom de guerre, “Captain Tala” was the secret  headquarters of the guerillas were conferences of vital importance among guerilla leaders were discussed and planned.  The same house also served as emergency hospital for the sick and wounded members of the organization period.  Col. Eriberto Sombilla, alias Col. Talahib secured protection and nourishment in this house.  When he was fatally wounded during an encounter with the Japanese sometimes in the early part of 1944.

By the end of the year 1944, the sitio’s of Ibayiw, Tabla, La-lao in the barrio of Tala, Rizal, Laguna become practically a complete guerilla territory.  All Attempts by the Japanese to penetrate into the area and harass the guerillas had ended disastrously for them.  The whole territory of Tala and the nearby hills and mountain extending from  the western outskirts of San Pablo City through town of Rizal, Nagcarlan, Lilio up to Majayjay came under the armed and administrative control  of  the  guerillas  under  Col. Alfredo  M. David.  All the hilly areas of Tala

was the guerillas  under Col. David’s military control in the more populated sector, different sanctions were mark as guerilla headquarters, as offices and quarters. Movements within those areas were restricted.  Individual permits were necessary as a precautionary measure and outposts were set up at  strategic places and trails.   It was in this guerilla camp in the barrio of Tala in the  thick forest of Sitio Lalao were Majors Howe and Tom and the wife and children of Brigadier General Carlos P. Romulo lived for sometimes with a feeling of security until all of them were pick-up by the place in the adjoining improvised landing field.  For everything that the barrio of Tala is concerned during the second World War this are only her principal accomplishment so far.

At the end of this war, the people of Tala once more witnessed a blessing of United States Government by recognizing the members of the  guerilla units and gave them the due compensation in accordance with their respective services.  It was a boom for the barrio of Tala for great majority of people received financial aid.

Captain Isidro Urriquia who was also recognized in his rank won in the election for mayorship in 1946 without opposition.  During his four years term he once more proved to the people that he was not merely a military leader in the town but also a dynamic political figure whose services has made the municipality of Rizal a model in the province.  Inspite of the existence of the dissidents, never has the town of Rizal been molested by the Huks.  These are

the signs that  Mayor Isidro I. Urriquia and his tested fighting men which the majority are from the barrio Tala will always fry to keep their hard earned honor be worthy of the respect of the people.

During his incumbency as a Mayor, he was able to carry out several improvements.  The municipal town hall and other public buildings were reconstructed.  Coconut industry being the principal means of income of the town is being afforded at first class security.  By overwhelming demand, Mayor Isidro I. Urriquia was re-elected in November 1951 to serve for another four years.

The barrio of Tala is proud to have a son not only known by his own people but instead known to the whole province of Laguna for his services.  As a mayor who can rarely be equal by his contemporaries in the entire province.

Unlike in 1890-1900, not so many lives disappeared in the war of 1941-1945.  The fact could be attributed maybe to the unity of the people when they had not get tested the glory of life under the sunlight of democracy.


Barangay Tuy

Barangay Tuy. Much to the attention of the passers by going to and the town of Nagcarlan is a very big aged tree at the boundary of Barrio Pook and Tuy.  The tree is none other tree the well known Tuy tree.  It was because of this tree that a barrio was born since its birth during the Spanish regime up to the present, it was called Tuy.  It was established very long time ago, earlier than the foundation and establishment of the town of Rizal where, at present it belongs.

It was at that time composed of families that came from other barrios, town and provinces especially Batangas, families went away from home and settled in Tuy to earn a living.  Their worked in kilns and “langisan” owned by a well to do families at that time as Claro Cuento, Arcadeo Sotelo from Nagcarlan, Laguna, Juan Urriquia and Romano Monterola of Tuy.  The oil and Copra were brought and sold to Sta Cruz and Bay.  They carried these on their shoulders for there were no good means of transportation as we have now.  Very few people owned good houses.  The people who were responsible for peace and prosperity of the barrio were the teniente del barrio namely “Kapitan Manuel Lucido, Kabesang Crispino Kollamos, from Taytay and Kabesang Pedro Viriña of Pook.  At  that time these barrio led to persons paying residence tax.  The people of  Tuy were not contented with their lives.  They were unhappy.  They did not enjoy the rights and privileges that man need to enjoy.  They were forced to  obey the likes and dislikes of the Spanish Administrators.  Their unhappiness then was overcome when the Americans came to the  Philippines and the Spanish power over the Filipinos was overthrown.  Again another group of able man were selected to serve as barrio  lieutenants.  They were Santiago Arcigal, the late Ceferino Chavez and Pantaleon Sutare, who served for quite a long time until 1918, when Rizal  town was first founded and during the time before the second global war was broke out.  After the Japanese occupation up to the present, a democratic as well as religion men in the person of Santos Formales is the barrio lieutenant.

Because war is considered as the most tragic thing in earth, its aims, means and fruit can never been debanned from our memories.  It was during World War II where the Japanese occupy the Philippines, people had to leave the town and retreat to the mountain  and spend their miserable livelihood.  Through the efforts of Jose Oro, one civic spirited man of Tuy’s populace at present a councilor of Rizal, the people of Tuy were able to meet their daily needs, though not sufficiently.  He made a “langisan and sabonan” and employed most of the young men and women and even the children while their parents tilled the soil and planted nut crops in order to live.

In 1942, there came one of the bitter inflections in the Life of the people of Rizal, the Japense burned the houses and by fortune sake left only few.  It began in these barrio Tuy westward to the town.  This lamentable ends of Tuy’s houses added much heartache to the people.  When they returned, they had to build small houses popularly known as “barong-barong”.  They were deprived of electric  current and faucets where they got their water supply.  Only one faucet was left and that was the one near the Tuy tree,  all people walk up and down carry their pale, water cans and long bamboo called “bombing” to get water to that distant place.

In the coming of the Americans lifted them from their sufferings.  Post war activities moved swirling.  One of those was the help of the war Damage Commission. Like other people in the whole archipelago, Tuy folks whose properties were destroyed during the war received war damage aids.  Thus, they were able to repair their homes.


Barangay Talaga

Barangay Talaga is  a peaceful barrio of Rizal, Laguna.  It got its name from a well was the main source of barrio’s water supply.  With the installation of faucets in almost every barrio in the community the well fell into disuse.  A man who happened to buy the lot near the well not knowing the significance of it to the barrio folks covered it up.  It is now hardly traceable with all leaves and debris piled upon it.

The barrio was established and boundaries laid simultaneous to the establishment of the town of Rizal, in 1919 as all of the barrio’s which now constitute it was a barrio called Pauli.  The boundaries of Talaga in the South is the sitio Basilin of Barrio Entablado, on the north is the sitio of Ibayiw of Barrio Tala, the Barrio of Antipolo on the West and Poblacion on East.

Some of the original families of Talaga were the Verador, Subijano, Ponciana Concavellas and Narciso Muñoz.  It had a population of a little more than hundred.

From as early as Taft’s incumbency assisting of barrio leadership was formed in Talaga.  The first to the looked up to as head was Mr. Pedro Verador, who held the position for quite a long time.  He was succeeded by  Manuel Villanueva.  It was during his time that the cholera epidemic took place, when the dead where merely wrapped in mats and wailing could be  heard from house to house.  Both are now dead.  Soon the time grew better and better and Mr. Alejandro Isleta was chosen by the barrio folks as their head.  He held that position for three terms after him the following  persons became Teniente del barrio: Messrs. Crispino Verador (dead), Narciso Muñoz, Miguel Calabia, Margarito Sumague, Napoleon Isleta, Gaudencio Magtibay and for the present is Mr. Jaime Urriza.

The sitios included within the territorial jurisdiction of Talaga are Duhat, which got its name from an old duhat tree of that place, Ulong, which was named

as such because of the deep hallow part of the sitio filled with water, and Kalansayan which was soon named because of skeletons (kalansay) found in sitio.

The people of Talaga during the Spanish occupation was never disturbed by any force neither by the civil guards nor by the outside force, the so called insurgents (insurrectos).  But the only sad events that had happened almost at the last part of the Spanish occupation was when one trusted civilian was mistaken for an insurgent and was shot to dead by civil guards.

In 1901 the American began to rule the Philippines.  But at this early part of the American occupation cholera epidemic broke out in almost every place in the island.  Talaga then was a victim of the epidemic.

After this epidemic the peacefulness of barrio continued until before the outbreak of the World War II.

On December 8, 1941, the World War II broke out.  Everbody was in turmoil.  The civic spirited people of the island tried to enlist in any guerilla unit in order to get the chance to defend the country against the enemy.  Among these were those who had shown the undoubted bravery, like Mr. Vicente Vista, who had fought so bravely with the Japanese and barrio Talahib a barrio of Nagcarlan,  but  was  unfortunately killed by the Japanese and the other  was Mr.

Cayo Verador, who fought fiercely and killed a number of  Japanese.  At present Mr. Verador is a member of the civil guards of Rizal, serving his people with undying spirit of service in his heart.

During  the World War I and II least destruction was made in Talaga.  In 1901 that was in the early part of the American occupation houses were burned but no resistance was made.  During the World War II the people evacuated to the distant interior barrios.  The Japanese had the chance to burn several houses immediately before the American liberated the place.

However, the government took steps in rehabilitating those who had damages caused by the war.  War damaged aids were given to these people whose houses were burned.  Back-pays were given to recognized guerillas.