Biking Heaven

Biking Heaven

(Tayak Hill)

Vice Mayor Ferdinand O. Sumague

Another milestone in our municipality is to develop Tayak Hill in Rizal, Laguna Philippines as the second Cyling Heaven next to the  Magreglio Hill in Italy

The summit of Tayak Hill will soon be titled as the next ” Biking Heaven “, Thru the effort of Mayor Tony Aurelio, Vice Mayor Ferdie Sumague and Sanggunian members Team Pagbabago and most especially to Laguna Provincial Police Director Gilberto DC Cruz the Sponsor of a Giant Cruciffix and a replica/image Madonna Del Ghisallo (Patroness of Cyclists) with a Bicycle at the back of the replica would soon attract cyclists all over the Philippines and around the globe to Visit Tayak Hill / Tayak Adventure Park Rizal, Laguna Philippines.

Soon to be the next "Biking Heaven"

Background

Madonna del Ghisallo is a hill in Magreglio, close to Lake Como in Italy. It is named after a legendary Marian apparition.

According to the legend, the Medieval count Ghisallo was being attacked by bandits when he saw an image of Virgin Mary at a shrine. He ran to it and was saved from the robbers. The apparition became known as the Madonna del Ghisallo, and she became a patroness of local travellers. In later times, Madonna del Ghisallo (the hill) was made part of the Giro di Lombardia bicycle race.

A local priest, Father Ermelindo Vigano, proposed that Madonna del Ghisallo (the apparition) be declared the patroness of cyclists. This was confirmed by Pope Pius XII. Nowadays the shrine of Madonna del Ghisallo contains a small cycling museum with photos and artifacts from the sport. There also burns an eternal flame for cyclists who have died. One particularly notable artifact is the crumpled bicycle that Fabio Casartelli, a native of the region, rode on the day that he died in a crash in the Tour de France.

Colle del Ghisallo is a mountain pass road that connects the upper part of Valassina Larian Triangle. The point of the pass, at an altitude of 754 m above sea level, is located near Magreglio. A few meters from the pass is a small church, the sanctuary of the Madonna del Ghisallo. Its name comes from a certain Ghisallo which in medieval times in that place was attacked by bandits and made a vow to Our Lady to build a church in his honor if he survived.

The ascent of Ghisallo (from the north) is traditionally traveled by the Tour of Lombardy and was even more times into the course of the Tour of Italy. For this reason, Pope Pius XII proclaimed the universal patroness of cyclists.

This famous hill, with its spectacular views, has also been the decisive or conclusive stage of the most renowned races, from the Giro d’ Italia to the Giro di Lombardia. It’s for these reasons that thousands of cyclists ride up to Ghisallo each year.

In 2000 the Foundation of the Ghisallo Cycling Museum organized a relay from Madonna del Ghisallo to the Vatican to deliver a torch of the eternal flame to Holy Father John Paul II. This event inspired the idea of creating a cycling museum in a separate structure that could enhance the heritage of the shrine. The “Museo del Ciclismo, Madoona del Ghisallo” was inaugurated in 2006.

As a museum of cycling, the museum has positioned itself not just of bicycles but also to being devoted to the men and women of the sport, from competitors, journalists, to organizers, etc.
The official website of the museum is www.museodelghisallo.it

 

1st Commemoration of Tayak Hill

(February 22, 1945 WWII)

February 22, 2011

 

1st Commemoration of the Historic "Tayak Hill"

Early morning of February 22, 2011

A V-150 Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) of the Phil. Army 202 Brigade joining the parade

Rizal Elementary School Drum & Lyre Corps.

Local Government Unit headed by Mayor Tony Aurelio and Vice-Mayor Ferdie Sumague Chief Architect of the event

Elementary students gracing the 1st Feb22 Commemoration of Tayak Hill with their flaglets

V-150 Armored Personnel on the Go... Go... Go...

Convoy entering the Opulencia St. towards the Point of Commemoration: The Hystoric Tayak Hill

At the Forest of Historic Tayak Hill that once serve as the main Guerilla Headquarter during WWII

Doxology by the BatangRizal choir

BRO Rina Joy Pumar delivering her message of Patriotism and Inspiration for the future success of our town RIZAL, LAGUNA

Honoring by the CAT cadets of the CSCMNHS a Rizalian WWII veteran

WWII Vetera Mr. Mamerto Urrea Angeles that has an actual participation in the rescue of three(3) american airmen and the construction of an emergency landing strip at Tayak Hill

Philippine Army Scout Rangers parading with their gelly suits

Simulating War exercice at the forest of Tayak Hill by the Phil. Army Scout Rangers from the 202 Brigade

A squad from the First Scout Ranger Regiment (1SRR) 202 Brigade of the Phil. Army

Proud CAT cadets of CSCMNHS taking part of the first ever Commemoration of Tayak hill

Proud BatangRizal Organization members spearheading the 1st ever Commemoration of the historic "Tayak Hill" Soaring High for Success with BRO Teody Escueta as the Program Commanding Officer

Promoting Rizal, Laguna thru Philippine Daily Inquirer

Philippine Daily Inquirer February 17, 2011 edition highlighted on page A8 sponsored by Philippine Air Lines (PAL)

Poorest Laguna town finds place in history

By Maricar Cinco

Inquirer Southern Luzon

First Posted 20:48:00 02/16/2011

Filed Under: Tourism & Leisure, history, Philippines – Regions

YES, THERE is a town named Rizal in Laguna—an almost forgotten fifth-class municipality (annual income: P25 million-P35 million) that is often confused with the urbanized and popular Rizal province.

An even bigger confusion has arisen in mailing addresses in Rizal town’s Antipolo, one of its 11 barangays. (The more-known Antipolo is a first-class city of Rizal.) Both Rizal and Laguna provinces belong to the Calabarzon region.

Rizal Vice Mayor Ferdinand Sumague would rather call it an “Municipal Identity Crisis,” saying that even government officials from other municipalities are oblivious of his town’s existence. “We always have to go through some series of questioning: Where in Rizal are you from? Montalban? Tanay? Is it possible to have a province within a province?” he says. Even after explaining that the town is in Laguna, he adds, the next question will be: Where is it?  Rizal town, with a population of only 15,000 and a land area of 27 square kilometers, is at the center of the more popular towns of Nagcarlan and Calauan, and San Pablo City, which amplifies the disparity.

“At least we have here the shortest highway. Only five kilometers,” Sumague says in jest.

Poorest town

Sumague believes the “confusing identity,” to begin with, has hampered the municipality’s progress for the past 92 years since its foundation. With a yearly income of only around P31 million, Rizal was pinned to the bottom among all 30 Laguna municipalities. “We need to have our own identity, first,” Sumague says. Thus, town officials undertook their research and stumbled last month upon a piece of history about a 560-meter plateau in the remote village of Tala called the Tayak Hill. This, they say, is the key to Rizal’s progress.

According to the books titled “Guerrilla Interview,” authored by David Dwiggins, and “For Love of Freedom,” by Juan Hernandez, the Tayak Hill served as the command post of the Filipino-American Irregular Troops under a certain Col. Gertrudo San Pedro during World War II.

The book reveals that in January 1945, San Pedro’s unit saved three American soldiers aboard a faulty plane that swooped down near the area. The site, the records add, gave the soldiers a vantage view of Laguna. About an hour’s walk from the plateau is an 11-km field where Filipino and American troops built a 300-meter runway for aircraft that flew forces in and out. In February 1945, the field was used as a dropping point for food, medicine supplies and war materials. It was also on this airstrip that Virginia Llamas Romulo took off to rejoin her husband, Gen. Carlos Romulo, in Mindoro.

“Even records at the municipal government did not have this (information) until today,” Sumague says.

Landmark

The municipal government has tagged the area as the “The Landing Point,” and is set to build a replica of a US Air Force L-4 Observation plane that once landed there in 1945. Sumague says this will serve as a historical landmark for Rizal, which he hopes would begin to attract tourists to the town.

“People go to Nagcarlan because of the underground cemetery. San Pablo has the seven lakes. Calauan is known for its pineapples, while Liliw is known as the tsinelas (slippers) capital. Now, Rizal will be known as Tayak dventure and Nature Park, ‘The Landing Point,’” and Camp Bakod na Bato” he says.

Sumague, who also heads the municipal tourism office, says the tourism project includes establishing an adventure park atop the Tayak Hill. A Sports Tourism Adventure—triathlon, airsoft and paintball competitions, and paragliding—will be held in April.Regular sports activities will also give tourists reason for coming back, Sumague says.

“Other towns are already (at the stage) of promoting (their products). But us, we have just started,” the vice mayor says.

 

Discovering our Municipal Treasure

and

Establishing our Municipal Landmark

(Tourism Priority Program of Vice-Mayor Ferdie Sumague FY2010-2013)

(Disclaimer) conceptualizing the tourism priority project dubbed as: “The Landing Point” with the US Air Force L-4 Piper Observation plane codename Grasshopper the same aircraft model that actually landed to the so called Landing Field  at Sitio Braulia Rizal, Laguna somewhere in February 1945 during WWII

Historical background:

Col. Gertrudo San Pedro of the USAFFE had been a prisoner of war previously and upon his release August 15, 1942 at 26 years of age, he joined Hugh Straughn’s Fil-American Irregular Troops (FAIT). He started recruiting ex-USAFFE’s, ex-Philippine Scouts, ex-Philippine Constabulary, Philippine Army reservists and trainees, civilian volunteers including professionals to constitute his outfit. His unit became known as the FAIT’s 2nd Division of the III Army Corps under the immediate command of guerrilla Col. Justiniano Estrella, alias Alfredo M. David, who dubbed his corps, David’s Command. After the death of Col. Straughn, Col. Marcos V. Marking took over the FAIT’s command which he drummed up as Marking’s Fil-Americans.

After the Battle of Sta. Isabel Col. San Pedro’s 2nd Division Command headquarter was moved to Tayak Hill (for its commanding view of Laguna) on Mt. San Cristobal near Rizal, Nagcarlan and Liliw. At that time it was called  Sitio Tayak. That is a remote barrio. The nearest road to Tayak is passing through Rizal.

On January 24, 1945, Col. San Pedro’s unit was able to rescue three American airmen whose plane had been damaged in a raid on Manila and went down in Laguna de Bay near (Lanhaya) Victoria, Laguna. The men were: Major Charles Howe, Major Thompkins and Sgt. Bretain of the 5th Attack Group, U.S. Army.

Photo of Major Charles Howe of the 5th Attack Group US Army

American Forces had not yet landed on Luzon so the nearest airstrip was in Mindoro. It was requested that Col. San Pedro’s unit to build an airstrip so a rescue plane could pick up the downed airmen and return them to friendly forces.Col. San Pedro and his men constructed a landing field at Tayak Hill. The landing field is on a plateau wherein the length of the runway is 300 meters, but the approach  are already up high enough on high ground when take off, that’s why the problem of a long runway is not necessary because after going 300 meters aircraft are already airborne because of the plateau.

Within a couple weeks Col. San Pedro and his men completed construction of the taxi strip and airfield near Col. San Pedro’s headquarters on Tayak Hill. Intelligence informed authorities that the landing strip had been completed and soon an L-4 Piper observation plane flew in and then flew the men to safety in Mindoro. It was also in this airstrip Mrs. Virginia Llamas Romulo took of to join General Carlos Romulo in Mindoro.

L-4 Piper Observation plane codename “Grasshopper”

On the strong suggestion of Major Charles  Howe, the U.S. Armed Forces started dropping war material and food supplies on February 22, 1945. US Air Force planesC-47 / DC-3 dropped arms, ammunition and food supplies at Tayak Hill Rizal, Laguna, escorted by the P-38, double body and the last is the P-51 Mustang. The American insignia for pursuit is “P” for fighter is “F”. Making the Landing Field and Tayak Hill Rizal, Laguna  as the main supply depot of arms, ammunition and foods to all guerilla fighting units in Laguna up to Infanta in the province of Quezon.

World War II aircraft that played a major role to the colorful story of Landing Field and Tayak Hill

US Armed Forces C-47 WWII aircraft
US Armed Forces DC-3 WWII aircract
US Armed Forces P-38 WWII aircraft
US Armed Forces P-51 Mustang WWII aircraft

Article derived from: Lorenzo Cornista’s ” Guerilla Interview ” San  Padlo City Philippines by: David L. Dwiggins

And from the Book of: “ FOR LOVE OF FREEDOM ”  by Juan B. Hernandez copyrighted 1982 Sponsored by the American Legion  Seven-Lakers Post 188 and Veterans Federation of the Philippines  San Pablo City Post,  Prited by National Printing Company Quezon City Philippines

Researched By:

Vice Mayor Ferdie O. Sumague

and BRProduction immediate staff

BRO Demet Formales, BRO Loyd Cataring, BRO Eunice Visey and BRO Richard Subida

 

Old Photo…”Banda San Miguel” Rizal, Laguna

AT] Please moderate: “”

Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:33 PM
From:
This sender is DomainKeys verified

“WordPress.com” <donotreply@wordpress.com>

Add sender to Contacts

To:
ferdie_batangrizal@yahoo.com

E-mail : sumaguecesar@yahoo.com
URL    : http://sumaguecesar@yahoo.com
Whois  : http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=65.246.216.100

Comment:

Kumusta na kayong lahat diyan mga minamahal kung kababayan, at please give my best regards to San Miguel Band Of Rizal,Laguna si Cesar po ito sa New york Rekinto ng Banda ng Rizal, kumusta rin kay Pareng Poly Sumague at lalo na kay Dado Doria one of my best friend in Rizal Band i miss you a lot guys, hope everything is fine ,kay Ninong Ambet, Romy  trumpet at Ador trombone ,Poncing at sa lahat sa banda  San Miguel .

thanks,

Cesar

Old Photo Gallery (under construction)

CCI00005

Banda San Miguel Rizal, Laguna

Members of Banda San Miguel at the Municipal Hall of Rizal, Laguna Plaza Estanislao Fernandez in front of the statue of Dr. Jose P. Rizal year 1965

New 2000 Peso Bill

The Central Bank of the Philippines issued only 300,000 pieces of this 216mmx133mm 2,000 Philippine Peso Centennial Commemorative Legal tender Banknote.

2000-PISO CENTENIAL COMMEMORATIVE BANKNOTE

2000-PISO CENTENIAL COMMEMORATIVE BANKNOTE

The obverse side features President Joseph Ejercito Estrada taking his oath of office on June 30, 1998 in the historic Barasoain Church, the seat of the first democratic republic in Asia shown in the background as well as the scroll of the Malolos Constitution and the seal of the BSP (Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas).

Obverse Side

Obverse Side

The reverse side depicts the re-enactment of the declaration of Philippine Independence at the Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1998 by President Fidel V. Ramos and also features the Philippine Centennial Commission logo.

Reverse Side

Reverse Side

The security features of the note include a 3-dimensional cylinder mould-made portrait watermark of the two presidents and the years 1898-1998, iridescent band, color-shift windowed security thread, latent image and perfect see-through register.