The Landing Point Adventure

Determining the exact location of

” The Landing Point “

On the last part on the concreted road, on our way to " The Landing Point "

On our way to " The Landing Point "

Jump off to " The Landing Point "

With the Bituin couple of Brgy. Tuy that serves as our guide towards " The Landing Point

Reaching " The Landing Point "

Viewing the municipality of Rizal, Laguna from "The Landing Point "

Viewing " Tayak Hill " from "The Landing Point "

Viewing "Tayak Hill " from "The Landing Point "

Viewing " Tayak Hill " from " The Landing Point "

BR Production Team, BR Adventure Team and DENR officers

Proudly BatangRizal

Discovering our Municipal Treasure

and

Establishing our Municipal Landmark

(Tourism Priority Program of Vice-Mayor Ferdie Sumague FY2010-2013)

(Disclaimer) conceptualizing the tourism priority project dubbed as: “The Landing Point” with the US Air Force L-4 Piper Observation plane codename Grasshopper the same aircraft model that actually landed to the so called Landing Field  at Sitio Braulia Rizal, Laguna somewhere in February 1945 during WWII

Historical background:

Col. Gertrudo San Pedro of the USAFFE had been a prisoner of war previously and upon his release August 15, 1942 at 26 years of age, he joined Hugh Straughn’s Fil-American Irregular Troops (FAIT). He started recruiting ex-USAFFE’s, ex-Philippine Scouts, ex-Philippine Constabulary, Philippine Army reservists and trainees, civilian volunteers including professionals to constitute his outfit. His unit became known as the FAIT’s 2nd Division of the III Army Corps under the immediate command of guerrilla Col. Justiniano Estrella, alias Alfredo M. David, who dubbed his corps, David’s Command. After the death of Col. Straughn, Col. Marcos V. Marking took over the FAIT’s command which he drummed up as Marking’s Fil-Americans.

After the Battle of Sta. Isabel Col. San Pedro’s 2nd Division Command headquarter was moved to Tayak Hill (for its commanding view of Laguna) on Mt. San Cristobal near Rizal, Nagcarlan and Liliw. At that time it was called  Sitio Tayak. That is a remote barrio. The nearest road to Tayak is passing through Rizal.

On January 24, 1945, Col. San Pedro’s unit was able to rescue three American airmen whose plane had been damaged in a raid on Manila and went down in Laguna de Bay near (Lanhaya) Victoria, Laguna. The men were: Major Charles Howe, Major Thompkins and Sgt. Bretain of the 5th Attack Group, U.S. Army.

Photo of Major Charles Howe of the 5th Attack Group US Army

American Forces had not yet landed on Luzon so the nearest airstrip was in Mindoro. It was requested that Col. San Pedro’s unit to build an airstrip so a rescue plane could pick up the downed airmen and return them to friendly forces.Col. San Pedro and his men constructed a landing field at Tayak Hill. The landing field is on a plateau wherein the length of the runway is 300 meters, but the approach  are already up high enough on high ground when take off, that’s why the problem of a long runway is not necessary because after going 300 meters aircraft are already airborne because of the plateau.

Within a couple weeks Col. San Pedro and his men completed construction of the taxi strip and airfield near Col. San Pedro’s headquarters on Tayak Hill. Intelligence informed authorities that the landing strip had been completed and soon an L-4 Piper observation plane flew in and then flew the men to safety in Mindoro. It was also in this airstrip Mrs. Virginia Llamas Romulo took of to join General Carlos Romulo in Mindoro.

L-4 Piper Observation plane codename “Grasshopper”

On the strong suggestion of Major Charles  Howe, the U.S. Armed Forces started dropping war material and food supplies on February 22, 1945. US Air Force planesC-47 / DC-3 dropped arms, ammunition and food supplies at Tayak Hill Rizal, Laguna, escorted by the P-38, double body and the last is the P-51 Mustang. The American insignia for pursuit is “P” for fighter is “F”. Making the Landing Field and Tayak Hill Rizal, Laguna  as the main supply depot of arms, ammunition and foods to all guerilla fighting units in Laguna up to Infanta in the province of Quezon.

World War II aircraft that played a major role to the colorful story of Landing Field and Tayak Hill

US Armed Forces C-47 WWII aircraft
US Armed Forces DC-3 WWII aircract
US Armed Forces P-38 WWII aircraft
US Armed Forces P-51 Mustang WWII aircraft

Article derived from: Lorenzo Cornista’s ” Guerilla Interview ” San  Padlo City Philippines by: David L. Dwiggins

And from the Book of: “ FOR LOVE OF FREEDOM ”  by Juan B. Hernandez copyrighted 1982 Sponsored by the American Legion  Seven-Lakers Post 188 and Veterans Federation of the Philippines  San Pablo City Post,  Prited by National Printing Company Quezon City Philippines

Researched By:

Vice Mayor Ferdie O. Sumague

and BRProduction immediate staff

BRO Demet Formales, BRO Loyd Cataring, BRO Eunice Visey and BRO Richard Subida

 

BatangRizal 2nd General Assembly

Attention:

To all BatangRizal Organization members;

BatangRizal Organization will hold its second (2nd) General Assembly on October 31, 2010 at the Cristobal S. Conducto MNHS multi purpose gymnasium.

The Municipality of

Rizal, Laguna

LAND OF MY BIRTH, HOME OF MY PEOPLE

The Municipality of Rizal, Laguna

Zooming in the Municipality of Rizal, Laguna

A closer view of the "kabayanan" Municipality of Rizal, Laguna

The Heart of Municipality of Rizal, Laguna

BatangRizal Adventure Team (BRAT)

Proudly BatangRizal Adventure Team (BRAT) members

BatangRizal Adventure Quest

BatangRizal Adventure Quest

Discovering and Promoting the Hidden Treasure of Rizal, Laguna

BRAT member BRO Howell Pungsalan

BatangRizal Adventurer Bro Jhun Subijano and BRO Maloy Manimtim entering the Hidden Treasure

BatangRizal Adventurer BRO Jhun Subijano

BROrg. Sport’s Fest ’09

BatangRizal Organization Sport’s Fest 2009

BROrg. Sport’s Fest ’09 held at the Rizal Re-creation Center December 27, 2009

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal Organization Sports Fest '09

BatangRizal visit Rizal Shrine Calamba, Laguna

BatangRizal Organization members

BatangRizal Organization members

BatangRizal Organization members

BatangRizal Org. members with the Likha Artist of Calamba, Laguna

BatangRizal Org. members with the Likha Artist of Calamba, Laguna

rizal shrine2 007

BRO Jhun Subijano Proudly BatangRizal (Laguna)

Rizal Shrine

Rizal Shrine Calamba, Laguna

Rizal Shrine Calamba, Laguna

Rizal Shrine is one of the top tourist draws in the developing City of Calamba. This shrine is is a reconstruction of the ancestral home of Calamba’s greatest son, Dr. José P. Rizal. The original house was destroyed during World War II, and through Executive Order No. 145 by President Elpidio Quirino, the house was restored through the supervision of National Artist Juan Nakpil. The shrine was then inaugurated in 1950.

In 1848, Rizal’s parents, Francisco Mercado and Teodora Alonso, who were originally from Biñan, Laguna, got married and settled in Calamba. The house they built was of the Spanish architectural style of that time and was one of the first stone and hardwood houses in Calamba. On June 19, 1861, Rizal was born inside that house and was the seventh among the eleven children of Francisco and Teodora. He was baptized “José Rizal Mercado” at the Calamba Church right next door

rizal1

Rizal’s family were driven away due to pressure from the Spanish authorities and the house was sold to a Spaniard Don Isidro for 24,000 Philippine pesos. The house was destroyed during the Second World War and after the war, the Philippine government bought what remains of the property for 27,000 pesos.

Today, the shrine serves as a museum containing memorabilias of Rizal’s earlier childhood. On the grounds is a statue of the boy Rizal and his pet dog. The lot is also where Rizal’s parents remains were transferred. Visitors can enter the shrine everyday and there’s no entrance fee, but donations are welcome.

HISTORY

The town of Calamba was originally part of an estate owned by the Jesuits from 1759 to 1768. It was acquired by a Spaniard in 1803, then by the Dominicans in 1883. Rizal’s parents, Francisco Mercado and Teodora Alonso, were from the neighboring town of Biñan but opted to settle in Calamba when they got married in 1848. They built the first stone and hardwood house in Calamba which is now known as the Rizal Shrine.

After the Rizals were driven out of Calamba by the Spaniards, the house was sold to a certain Don Isidro — said to be the brother of the Governor — for 24,000 Philippine pesos (US$460.679 at PhP52.097=$1) and he had it rented out. But after WWII, it was in ruins. The government purchased the property for PhP27,000 but the house was no longer standing.